Saturday, March 11, 2006

T.A.I.P.E.I.

Forget what you think you know. Forget that "Taipei" is the (bad) Roman transliteration of the Chinese name for the capital city of the Republic of China, 台北. You also might as well go ahead and forget those two characters each have a meaning of their own in the Chinese language. It's all wrong.

Today, I went to Taipei 101. Not only did I go there, I went to the 89th floor. While there, I learned a lot -- well, a little -- about mass tuned dampers, the symbolism inherent in the design of the building and it's communications infrastructure. Most importantly, I learned that Taipei is actually an acronym.

Technology
Art
Innovation
People
Environment
Identity

So that's why they used a 'P'!

Also, 101 symbolizes both binary code and "better than 100%".

Tags: ,

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home